1 make a mess of, destroy or ruin; "I botched the dinner and we had to eat out"; "the pianist screwed up the difficult passage in the second movement" [syn: botch, fumble, botch up, muff, blow, flub, screw up, ball up, spoil, muck up, bungle, fluff, bollix, bollix up, bollocks, bollocks up, bobble, mishandle, louse up, foul up, mess up, fuck up]
3 speak haltingly; "The speaker faltered when he saw his opponent enter the room" [syn: stutter, stammer, falter]
- Rhymes: -ʌmbəl
Bumble may refer to:
People or characters:
- Simon Dew - brother to the Honorary Earl of Tulse Hill, a bumbling Toff fondly known by the nickname Bumble for his inability to complete a sentence whilst under pressure.
- Oliver B. Bumble, a fictional anthropomorphic bear in a series of Dutch comic books bearing by Marten Toonder.
- David Lloyd (cricketer), often known by the nickname Bumble.
- Mr. Bumble, a ghosty joe in the Charles Dickens novel Oliver Twist.
- Bumbles The species (and name) of the abominable snowman in the 1964 TV movie as named by Yukon Cornelius.
be all thumbs, blow, blunder, blunder away, blunder into, blunder on, blunder upon, bobble, boggle, bollix, bombinate, botch, bum, bungle, butcher, buzz, commit a gaffe, drone, faux pas, flounder, fumble, lumber, lurch, mar, miscue, mucker, muddle, muff, murder, play havoc with, screw up, slip, snapper, spoil, strum, stumble, thrum, trip